Monday, November 9, 2015

40 acres and a mule

Yup, that was the promise held out for the black folks who signed up for Abe's war on the Slave States.

It was only much later that those black folks realized that was all hokum...

They had another hundred years to go just to sit at the same lunch counter as their betters!

The forty acres and a mule part was pretty much forgot...

But I've got a chance at forty acres right outside the Guelph town line! The mule I can always pick up later.

This is a property that once belonged to the Hassan family. Good local farming folks, although now that I think about it, that name doesn't blend in all that well with the Fairs and the Cards and the McMillans and the rest of the Anglo-Scot pioneer mafia.

I have a personal connection with this place. The property for sale today was built when the old homestead burned down. I remember seeing the old place ablaze from the school-bus window. I recall my dear daddy organizing a bit of fund-raising on behalf of those poor folks.

They were into Black Angus cattle, and they used to have some connection to a herd owned by the Toronto Reichmann family. One of the Reichmann boys was seriously into purebreed cattle. Apparently a Hassan bull was humping all the Reichmann cows and the ensuing calves did not have the appropriate pedigree.

Or something... anyway, lots of lawyers got Muskoka summer homes out of that quibble...

So I'm eye-balling this Hassan place, which is on the market for a mere $900k...

Hey Dad, why don't you do something nice for me before you go to that big refugee camp in the sky?...

No comments:

Post a Comment