Monday, April 20, 2015

Pot-addled hillbilly trains beavers to cut firewood!

OK, I haven't actually "trained" them, but bear with me.

A couple of years ago the nearest beaver dam was just above the north boundary where Indian Creek flows onto Falling Downs property. They'd created that lovely little lake that my neighbour Lisk enjoys right in front of his place, when he's not busy running his restaurant 24-7.

That would be the "Smoking Gun" over by Sauble, in case you're not a regular reader. Highly recommended.

Then, last year, we found that the beavers had constructed a new dam a good hundred yards downstream of their last one, well into Falling Downs territory.

But this year, it seems the beavers have moved another couple hundred yards downstream.

I was doing a walk-about of the estate on the weekend, following the far side of the creek north to south, when it suddenly occurred to me I was hearing falling water.

(By the way, if creek doesn't rhyme with hick, you're not saying it right.)

Just as I became aware of that falling water, I was amazed to find all sorts of evidence of beaver activity, including a number of tree limb bits chewed at both ends to a furnace-friendly eighteen inches or so.

Firewood!

I gathered an armful and carried it home...

It's warming the homestead as I write these words!

So far the beavers have provided this bounty of their own volition.

I'll get back to you on the "training" part of the equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment