Saturday, August 23, 2014

Is my Quinoa salad starving a Bolivian peasant?

Darned if I know.

All I can say for sure is that the Farm Manager fixed up one hell of a tasty quinoa salad the other day, and this morning I saw with my own eyes that she was fortifying the leftovers with a few diced tomatoes straight out of our wee garden.

And I am enjoying the fruit of her labours at this very moment... and it is super-tasty!

But back to that Bolivian peasant.

Here's one of the problems with globalism, the supposed cure-all for all that ails the planet; once a subsistence grain like quinoa finds favour with North American yuppies, those Bolivian peasants who grow the stuff can't afford it anymore.

But I can.

At some level I fully appreciate that there is something very wrong with this picture.

But damn!... is this ever a tasty salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment