Saturday, February 9, 2013

About those vast gaps in the landscape of memory

My buddy Kipling, he of the 426 Hemi Charger, claims that if I can recall match races on the 86 Dragway from forty years ago I don't have anything to worry about.

He's right and he's wrong.

I can remember an orange GTO Judge facing off against Earl Vollet's 64 hemi-powered Plymouth Fury like I saw it last night.

That might have happened in 1969 or 1970.

But I can't remember last night.

There are vast gaps in the landscape of my memory.

I remember the GTO won.

Those ram-air IV Pontiac motors would propel a two ton car to a flat twelve ET with nothing more than a set of slicks.

The three or four people still alive who know what that sentence means are nodding their heads in agreement right now.

But that was 40 years ago.

So Kipling is right.

But a lot of water has run under the proverbial bridge since then.

And most of it is simply water run away. 

I have no idea where it went or how it got there.

So Kipling is wrong too.

No comments:

Post a Comment