Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Towelheads vs. Hairheads

I got to thinking about this after I wrote about the Salafi on Sufi violence  in Libya.

To me, and I hate to sound like some sort of retrograde redneck, they all look the same.

And I think I mentioned at the time that from my point of view it's no different than Catholic vs. Protestant. They all look the same to me as well.

But obviously they can tell one another apart in places like Ireland, where until the recent respite they've been busy killing one another for at least 500 years.

So I went and had a chat with my old pal Abbie, which is short for Abdul.

Abdul is an old-school toweller who I've known for years and years. His family washed up on these shores when he was but a toddler. He was forever inscribed onto my besties list when he successfully sued A&P after he slipped on a grape in one of their stores in Guelph.

Told me he was trying to get the start-up capital for his own variety store, which he did.

He also had a reliable line on really fine Bekaa Blonde.

I don't see Abbie as much as I used to, so it was nice to get caught up. He's not in the store anymore, but his granddaughter gave me the home number.

Long story short, he's still got the Bekaa connections and he's still an unapologetic toweller. I'm like, "dude, you been in this country fifty years, when are you gonna lose the hat?"

"Ya man," he says, " you just don't get it. I mean hair is hair, and you get half the deal. I mean everybody here covers up their pubic hair. Why is it OK to have your head hair hanging out in all directions?"

Have to admit he had me stumped with that one.


No comments:

Post a Comment