Saturday, October 15, 2011

Autumn winds howl at Falling Downs

Last weekend the weather was too fine to do any work. It was still high summer. This weekend? When we wake up tomorrow it'll be mid-November. And who wants to work out there today? Not me.

Not that there's any shortage of stuff to do. I've been meaning to swap a new battery into the tractor, the old Ford 4000. I knew the battery was weak when I bought her. It's come to the point where after sitting more than a couple days it needs a boost to get going. I got as far as putting the cowl up, and now she's sitting there, cowl up in the rain, waiting for the new battery.

Not that I'm lacking for indoor work, stuff I'm always promising myself I'll get to in inclement weather. For example, I have to bat-proof the attic. Nice rainy day job. The bats are gone to their winter nests in the caves along the escarpment. Gives me a chance to make sure they don't make the attic here at Falling Downs their summer nest again next year. But I have all winter to get around to that.

Then there's the paper work. There's a shit-load of paperwork involved in managing a farm. I'm always behind on it. Just don't have the knack. Some people can tuck into a pile of paperwork like it's a jumbo wing platter and a pitcher of beer. Not me.

I'd rather clean up bat shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment