Friday, September 2, 2011

The Times Square Bomber

Couple of years ago, before I was full time here at Falling Downs, I was heading up for the May long weekend.

Gathered up all the necessities for a holiday weekend at the farm. Filled up my gas cans at the Sunoco. Also picked up some propane tanks for the BBQ. Three tanks. Figured that should get me through the season. Stopped off at TSC to get some fertilizer. If the weather holds this is always a good time to get some planting done.

No holiday weekend is complete without some fireworks. Stopped at Flamin' Fred's Discount Fireworks. Went all out. Bought two boxes of the Aerial Avalanche variety pack and a Burning Schoolhouse.

Stopped at the Tim Hortons in Hepworth to grab a coffee and a muffin. I come out, and holy shit! The car's overheated! There's steam and smoke filling up the interior and pouring out the hood! Damn! I knew I shouldn't have left it idling.

I reached in and turned off the ignition. The clouds gradually cleared. Opened up the hood. Looked like I'd lost the fan belt. Couple of the locals in the parking lot came over. Looks like you lost your fan belt. Yup. Fan belt.

Luckily the garage around the corner was still open. Not only did they have a belt but were good enough to lend me a couple of wrenches. That doesn't happen every day. Had the new belt on in twenty minutes.

So I was on my way. Had a great weekend. Weather held up. Kids loved the fireworks. Used the BBQ breakfast lunch and dinner all weekend. Got the roto-tiller through the garden plot.

It was only much later that the thought occurred to me; if that fan belt had broke in Times Square and my name was Faisal, I'd be in jail right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment