Saturday, September 3, 2011

Dogfighting at Falling Downs

Well here's a curious thing: google "dogfighting" and what comes up right away is Michael Vick. The googlator sends you straight to his Wikipedia page. It's a crazy thing, isn't it? Like Mike Vick is the beginning and the end of dogfighting?

I watch the dogs fight here at Falling Downs all the time. Hours of entertainment. Once and awhile the hair will go up and you know it's serious. They soon figure out who is the big dog and the other one slinks away.

Left to their own devices two dogs will rarely fight to the death. It takes human intervention to train them to do that. I guess that was what Vick's crew was up to. Organized dog fighting.

A few years ago they busted a dog fighting ring in my home town. I sort of knew a few folks on the periphery of it. Don't have any taste for it myself. I think I like dogs too much. But it was big news at the time. Just regular folks involved, with a hobby that's a bit outside the law. Sure, having dogs fight to the death may be cruel, but it's a cruel world, and sending them to the pound so they can be gassed at the end of the month doesn't really seem that much of a step up.

Anyway, the trial dragged on for many months. Long story short, a few people paid some fines, a few dogs were impounded and later gassed, couple of guys went to jail. The longest jail term if I remember correctly was 90 days.

Then they get a rich young black guy with attitude involved in dogfighting.

 OH! MY! GOD!

Well, he loses his property, his career, and is sent to jail for two years. All the smart money was betting that Michael Vick was toast.

Michael Vick just signed a $100 million contract with Philadelphia.

I'm an Eagles fan now.

No comments:

Post a Comment